Experienced and Reliabile Hosting Service Provider! Switch to Cloudies365 and Save Upto 50%
With time coming ahead of us we all look for a convenient lifestyle that can make our life easier. It gives us access to the delivery of various services such as storage, networking, databases etc. This whole process is called cloud computing. Without any new installation of hardware or software it enables users to access these services. Cloud computing also offers benefits such as a secure work environment, reliability, growth etc.
Now what if you cannot come to the office or have to leave the city for some reason? In such times of crisis, RDP will come to your rescue. It is available for clients at Work, or Work from Home, or even at travel.
What is RDP?
RDP which stands for Remote Desktop Protocol, is a general protocol or some rules that are set which allow users to connect to and control a desktop computer remotely. This enables the users to access their desktop computer from any device and any place. All the user needs is just a stable internet connection. The device can be a smartphone or a PC, it should just be connected to an internet connection. Users can then use their desktop computer as if they were sitting in front of it, opening and editing files, running applications, and performing other tasks. This is a perfect advantage for your holidays and trips.
Originally developed by Microsoft and is available for most Windows operating systems. However, along with Windows it can also be used with other operating systems, such as Mac OS and Linux, with the help of third-party software.
Features of RDP
It is known to be one of the most secure networks of all time. It sets a smooth connection between clients, servers, and virtual machines. Along with efficient connection, it also provides strong security data.
Some properties of RDP that makes it quite useful:
- Multi user access
- Transport Layer Security support
- Applications can be run on both remote as well as local desktop.
- Enables the use of local printers too.
- High encryption for both mouse and keyboard data.
- Without logging out, it can disconnect temporarily.
- Smart card authorization.
- Constant connection and sharing between local and remote computers.
- Local files are automatically redirected to remote desktops.
Despite all these features, not every RDP client supports these features. While operating in an enhanced mode, the client is ought to only support certain features.
RDP use cases
RDP is mainly used for three purposes:
- There will be times when coming to the office might become a hassle or you have to travel somewhere urgent. In such cases remote desktop access will be provided by RDP. This simply means that you’ll be able to access a home or office PC while traveling.
- There is always a help desk open for you. Either a corporate help desk or an individual but there is always someone to assist you.
- Enable us to make remote configuration changes on the network.
How does RDP work?
By connecting the remote desktop and the client device, it opens a dedicated channel between the two. This sets a straight path between the two networks. An RDP enabled application or service collects the data for it to be transmitted. The Microsoft Communications service connects all the data to an RDP channel. The RDP data is later encrypted by the OS and it is later transmitted.
All the activities related to RDP are handled by the Terminal Service Device Redirector Driver. RDP is part of this server which handles all the user interface, transfers, encryption etc. The protocol of TCP/IP is solely based on this.
The data that is sent over the RDP channel includes mouse movements, keystrokes, desktop display, and other information that is necessary for the remote desktop session. For example, when a user clicks on an icon on their remote desktop, this action is transmitted to the desktop computer, which then executes the command and sends back the updated display to the client device.
Because of this process, there may be some slight delays or lags when using RDP, especially if the internet connection is slow or unstable. However, RDP is designed to optimize the performance and quality of the remote desktop session by using various techniques, such as compression, caching, bandwidth management, and adaptive graphics.
What are the benefits of RDP?
- Since the data is fully encrypted, data can be easily stored without any risk of breaching and theft.
- No need for a Virtual private network.
- Provides an efficient IT infrastructure.
What are the disadvantages of Remote Desktop Protocol?
- In case you have a slow internet connection, there can be an issue of latency.
- Natural disasters such as Computer worms persist a lot. This can make your software vulnerable and there can be an attack.
- It will require you an on premises IT team so that there can be work management and access to different companies.
How to use RDP in cloud computing?
For accessing and managing resources that are hosted on cloud servers, we can use RDP’s protocol. For example, it can enable the users to connect to VMs (Virtual machines) that are running on GCP (google cloud platform), and other cloud service providers.
You need to fulfill all these requirements, in order to access RDP:
- A window VMs offering cloud services.
- An RDP enabled Window service.
- RDP access to a VM instance with a public IP address or a firewall.
- Using the RDP client software on the device.
When you wish to connect to a desktop computer remotely, RDP will use its useful protocols to enable it. With the advancement, we’ll see our work getting easier from time to time. In order to access and manage the resources that are hosted on cloud servers, RDP can be used. You need to be using Windows VMs or a VM that has RDP already enabled. By following the steps outlined above, users can use RDP in cloud computing easily and securely.