Experienced and Reliabile Hosting Service Provider! Switch to Cloudies365 and Save Upto 50%
Ever stuck in a situation where you lost your business data and don’t know what to do? Or could be that your system crashed? Now do you wish to undo the recent changes that you made in your QuickBooks company file?
Your business accounting data is of your utmost importance, and you can under a lot of risks if that data lost or misused somehow. Now, at this point, you must be thinking, what to do. If you are already smart and have a backup of your data, then you need not worry. You can easily restore the company files in QuickBooks Desktop through the backup of your company data. By now, we’re sure you understand how important your data backup is. It comes in handy when there no way left to recover your data back. So, before you start learning how to restore a company file, it is important that you understand the importance of it.
What data you can and cannot backup for restoring?
When performing tasks that require you to restore data, it is advisable to understand what all things can and cannot backed up. So, here we are providing you with a list of both:
Data that can backed up conveniently:
|Data that you cannot create a backup of:
Under what conditions can you restore a QuickBooks Backup File?
Now that you understand the importance of data backup, you must be thinking how to keep it safe. Well, in certain situations you would be considering restoring the data from your accounting data from a backup file. We are mentioning all the reasons why you should restore your data:
- Whenever the QuickBooks company file deleted accidentally.
- It is important to restore company files in QuickBooks Desktop when data gets damaged due to a virus or malware breach.
- In situations when it becomes difficult to repair the corrupt company file using any available tools.
What all factors you need to consider before you restore QuickBooks Data File?
Now before you move in the process of restoring your QuickBooks data file, it is important for you to understand certain factors that you must take into account. Here, we have mentioned all these points for you:
- It is important for you to use QuickBooks in single user mode.
- From the data backup that you have created, update your company file by re-entering all your transactions.
- By logging in the password for Administrator users, keep your financial data secure. It will keep your important data such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, or FEIN information safe.
Now, let’s move on to learn the restoration process in detail. This restoration process is divided into two parts:
- Restore company files in QuickBooks Desktop through Backup in windows.
- Restore QuickBooks Backup file in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Down below both the steps are discussed in details:
- How to restore QuickBooks company files from Backup in Windows?
Now, you no longer need to worry about lost data. You can simply restore it through the backup of your company files. Complete the restoration process on the QuickBooks desktop by following the given steps.
- The first and foremost thing you need to do is open QuickBooks.
- Navigate to the file menu and select Open or restore company. This will be followed by Restoring a backup copy. Then, click on Next.
- Now, click on the Local backup option and press next.
- After that, browse for the company file backup on your hard drive. It will be displayed as (Your company name).qbb.
- Click on next and select the folder in which you have saved the .qbb file.
- Click on open followed by Next.
Note: Now in case you are storing your data in an external device like a USB or a hosting service, then it is important that you move it to your hard drive in the first place.
Important: If QuickBooks sees a file name out there which has a company file with the same name in the specified folder. It will ask you whether you want to replace the existing file or not. Now, if you choose to replace the existing file with the restored file, QuickBooks will delete the existing file and replace it with the restored one. However, if you are not sure about replacing the file, click on cancel and give a different name to the file that you’re restoring. It will simply convert the file that you are restoring into a regular company file with a .qbw extension. The company file and all the associated files are stored in this specific section.
The further few steps are:
- Go back to the Open or restore company dialog box. There, select the folder to save the company file and click on the Next.
- Via save company file go to the damaged company file.
- Select the required company file and give permission to overwrite the data. Now click on Yes.
- Further, give your confirmation by writing yes in the dialog box that pops up on your screen and now select OK.
- Enter the administrator’s username and password on the QuickBooks Login Page once the overwriting is done.
- Lastly, re-enter all the transactions that you have from the time of backup until the present time.
Note: It is highly possible that you wouldn’t have created any administrator password earlier. In such cases, visit the QuickBooks signup page and follow the given steps.
- Firstly, enter a unique username in the provided field.
- Then, enter the password in the Sensitive data protection Setup window and confirm it.
- Now, you will be asked to select a specific question and an answer for the same.
- After signing up, you can re-enter all your transactions.
- How to restore a Backup company File in QuickBooks Desktop on Mac?
There are many ways that can help you find and restore your company files in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. You can easily restore your company data even when you wish to undo the recent changes made in the company file. This whole process becomes easier if you have data backup in QuickBooks for Mac Application. Here are the detailed steps, following which you will be able to restore the QuickBooks Backup File on Mac.
Step 1: Browse your backup company file
You need to browse your backup company files to restore the recent backup in QuickBooks for Mac. However, your company file’s copy is usually stored in the DMG file that QuickBooks for Mac creates while creating the backup. If you are still unaware of the backup file location, then follow the below-given steps to find it.
- Open your QuickBooks and look for preferences.
- After this, select backup followed by the Reveal backup folder option.
- Double click the folder in which you have saved the backup files and select the Date modified option to check the most recent backup.
Note: The version you are using currently, is usually displayed on the name of your backup company file. For instance, if you are using QuickBooks for Mac 2020, this means your company file will be named as “Your business name .qb2020”.
Now that you have finally located the backup file, you should go ahead and try restoring the backup company file.
Step 2: Restore the backup company file
Follow the below- given steps to know how you restore the backup company file in QuickBooks.
- First you double click on the backup file. It will then open a new window that displays a copy of your company file. You may even see the Attachments Library folder whenever your backup has attached documents.
- Move this file to the QuickBooks company file folder. You then may also drag it to the same location as the attachments library.
Note: Now if you do not want to overwrite the existing company file, it is important that you move the copy to a different folder.
- Now, open the QuickBooks for Mac application.
- Click on browse and go to the folder where you have saved a copy of the company file.
- Select and open the file.
- When you see a prompt window popping up, click on continue.
- Enter the name of the company file and click on Save>ok.
Step 3: Restore the attached documents
- Open QuickBooks and then select the preferences option which will be followed by Attachments.
- Now, select the Attached library dropdown menu>Select existing.
- Choose the attached library folder that you have located before and now click on open.
- At last, click on the Preferences Window.
Step 4: Turn the Online Backup and restore app on
The online Backup & restore app in QuickBooks is an amazing feature. It automatically helps in backing up the data. Once this is done, it will automatically detect any changes and then perform the tasks accordingly.
So here is what you can do. All you need to do is just follow the steps accordingly.
- Navigate to the “settings tab” in the QuickBooks software.
- Now you have to choose “Backup Company”.
Note: There are high chances that you might have to sign into your Intuit account. Now authorize the account to move ahead.
- To turn this off, there is not much work required. Here’s what you have to do.
- Click on the settings tab on the window of your QuickBooks software.
- Now click on the “Backup company”
- Then locate the company with auto backup that needs to be turned off.
- Choose “Action drop down” and then select the option of “Disable backup”.
Step 5: Manually create one time backup
All of this is possible, but you will have to follow these steps along, to execute the solution.
- First head to settings and then choose “Backup company”.
Note: There are chances that you might have to sign into your intuit account. Now authorize your account to move ahead.
- Next, you are supposed to choose “Add company” and then choose “search for a company”. There will be an “Action drop down menu” after which you will have to choose “run a full backup”.